Monday, August 15, 2011

"A Man Apart" Life, Family and MMA with Kreg Hartle

Colorado Fight League Newsletter (Steel City Rumble Exclusive) A Man Apart: Life, Family and MMA with Kreg Hartle

by Gabe Charboneau on Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 11:13am

A Man Apart
Life, Family and MMA with SCR’s Kreg Hartle
By CFL Contributor Liz Solano

Walking into a fighters gym you may expect something out of the box office hit, “Million Dollar Baby”, speed bags, heavy bags, a ring, and fighters lined up to voluntarily get punched in the face. As I walked into the PWIA Animal House Gym, I saw all of the equipment but no string of fighters. Only one, Kreg Hartle, main event for Steel City Rumble 7 who will be facing the biggest challenge of his career on his professional bout with veteran Cruz Chacon of Denver.  If that name sounds familiar its because Chacon’s record of over 30 fights includes wins and losses over UFC stars like: Noah Thomas, Joe Stevenson, Donnie Liles, Diego Sanchez and Josh Koshchek. While Hartle’s overall record of 9 and 4 pushes forward successfully since his pro debut, the talented and zany pro fighter from Pueblo will have his hands full.

HOW IT FEELS TO BE THE MAIN EVENT ON A MMA CARD

Despite, his awesome skills and some what crazy look as he enters the ring, Hartle is a very humble guy. For him most of the time being a main event on a fight card isn't a big deal. As he puts it, “It's another day to get punched in the face.” He has been the co-main event on many other cards and definitely feels that is an honor saying, “We all train hard to be here and I respect almost all of the opponents that I have fought.” Right now smack talk is all the rage in places like UFC. When asked about smack talk  Hartle responds, “a lot of times some has to talk themselves up for their fight, in this sport you can't show any weakness of you will get eaten alive.”
While he doesn't generally place a large emphasis on being the main event, SCR7 is a little bit different, “It's my first pro-fight in my hometown,” he says. For an athlete playing on your home turf is definitely special. It brings to life a sense of energy that only your home city can do. He says, “This is my hometown, and my fight is going to be a good fight.”

HOW HE'S PREPARING FOR HIS FUTURE IN MMA

Hartle has been training MMA for a long time and has found training and fighting to bring about an odd aura of calmness in the form of a giant release.  He isn't striving to be mediocre in anyway. He's adopted the, “Go Big or Go Home” ideology saying, “You have to build up your fight record and you are bound to have some really tough fights, but, every fighter wants to be on top. Every fighter wants to be in that Big Show.” For him, it's the UFC.   “I have a great camp and team with the PWIA /Rough house family” Coaches like Gabe and Keith Wilson, Tori Adams and Donnie Liles, I have made many friends in this sport and  try to train as much as I can. I’ll occasionally get together with Tamboura and the guys from Canon city  and The guys at Rude effex were cool enough to let us come by to get some different body types to work with for this fight”. While Kreg trains like a spartan he does have one bad habit, smoking. “I do have a bad habit of smoking, but, even though I do smoke I always get on my cardio.” Cardiovascular exercise is essential for fighters, Hartle explains, “People don't understand that when you're in that ring and you get tired, your body will lose it's functionality. When that happens, you don't want a guy like me on top of you.”

HIS HOME LIFE AND HIS SUPPORT SYSTEM
Hartle lives alone, but, I'm sorry to inform the ladies, he isn't single, “I have a great girlfriend who is really supportive.” He also has two sons, Wade and Kody. “My boys bring a huge amount of confidence and calmness to my life,” he says, “and knowing that the people that I love and care about are proud of me, means the world to me.” Aside from his sons he also has his fight family, “The Pacific Warrior fight family is something that has always been great to have and it is something that I hold very dear.” At times it can get very stressful, “I don't get nervous at all before my fights, but if I am coaching, I will puke!” He explains, “Coaching is so hard, you aren't the one in the ring, all you can do is tell them what to do and hope that they listen.”
One very special part of his and the Pacific Warrior fight family is Patty Trujillo-Esquibel. Patty is an inspirational women to many. She is fighting her own battle, one with breast cancer. She has beaten it twice so far, “That isn't abnormal,” Hartle explains, “It is amazing, not many people can say that.” Patty has nicknamed Hartle her fighter. She goes to every fight of his that she can, and win or lose, she is there to give him all the love and support that she can.

At the end of the day skill and technique will almost always beat quickness and Hartle has all three. His opponent for SCR7 does as well, “I would like to say that I will be the winner at the end of that fight, but you never know and my opponent has fought some really tough people. Having fought top level competition he has a track record but at the end of the night, we'll see who the winner is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment